roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How can I add outside data to Weblog model for config purposes?
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:51:38 GMT
On 6/14/07, Dolan Halbrook <dhalbroo@cisco.com> wrote:
> Here is my issue:  I'm attempting to roll out Roller (no pun intended) to a
> pretty large audience at a pretty large organization.  We have created our
> own theme, but to integrate with our internal navigation we need to, on
> specific blogs, use an arbitrary key so the nav system is aware of where it
> should be (this can't be done using the URL alone).
>
> I know on Wordpress the equivalent of an open, user-defined Map is available
> for people to drop arbitrary data onto the view.  This sort of thing might
> work, but it looks like extending the Weblog model in Roller is not
> necessarily trivial (ideally we'd just have another, admin-only, text field
> in weblog setup).

> As we integrate more and more this will come up as an issue more and more.
> Am I missing something, or is there no easy way to do this?

That's a good point. I hadn't really thought of the integration
aspects of it, but I've always thought that we'll eventually have to
move to a name/value model for weblog settings instead of adding new
fields to the website table.

Right now, I guess you can either 1) add new fields to the website
table, 2) add your own name/value settings table for each website
(kinda like the entryattributes table) or 3) add a relationship table
to tie your extensions to each weblog.

- Dave