roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error when emailing comments
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:35:16 GMT
On 5/31/07, Gary Kephart <gary_kephart@pobox.com> wrote:
> When entering a comment to an entry, I expect back an email. I get none.
> The log has this error in it. Any hints?
>
> ERROR 2007-05-30 20:31:49,448 Log4JLogger:error - EXCEPTION: in
> RollerServlet
> org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of
> method 'encodeEmail' in  class org.roller.util.Utilities threw exception
> class java.lang.NullPointerException : null

That's an odd one. Looks like the encodeEmail method is blowing up
because it's been handed a null email. How would an email become null?
And how is that related to your email failing.

Are there any cases where sending an email works for you in Roller?
Try inviting a user for example.

Is the site administrator email field set on the Server Admin page?

If you fill in all comment fields does the email go out?
(Perhaps the commenter didn't specify his email?)

What version of Java and which web server and database are you using?
(Oracle stores empty strings as null, could that be it?)

- Dave