roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migration of Roller 3.0 to Oracle 9
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 13:45:12 GMT
On 5/17/07, Gupta, Dharmesh <dg185037@ncr.com> wrote:
> Can anyone please help me on how to migrate the Roller database to
> Oracle and how can we use oracle as a database for a fresh roller
> Installation.

I'm not sure what the best strategy for a MySQL to Oracle migration is.

> I ran the oracle db scripts supplied with the Roller Source in WEB-INF
> directory but that makes an empty database and nothing else. Also will
> that be all required to run Roller on oracle ( will there be some
> code/configuration) changes required for the same ?

I don't have Oracle, but Oracle users have reported that it is
possible to use Roller with Oracle -- and I don't believe they needed
code changes to do it.

> I am using Roller 2.0 with Tomcat 5.5.9 and MySQL 4.1.18-nt.

Here's one idea for a plan:

1) Backup your MySQL database
2) Upgrade your existing Tomcat/MySQL Roller installation to Roller 3.1
3) Make sure everything is working to your satisfaction in Roller
4) Create or find some tool to migrate your MySQL data to Oracle
5) Reconfigure Roller to point to your new Oracle database
6) Make sure everything is working to your satisfaction in Roller

There have got to be some tools for step #4.

Oracle users: any ideas?

- Dave