roller-user mailing list archives

From "Anil Gangolli" <a...@busybuddha.org>
Subject Regarding Roller problems pinging IceRocket
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:44:16 GMT

I looked into the IceRocket ping issue.

The problem is that IceRocket, whether by ignorance or intention, has
implemented an incompatible variant of the common weblogUpdates.ping
mechanism.  Their ping request accepts only one argument, the blog URL, and
their success-case response also is not properly structured (it is a simple
string rather than a struct with flerror and message members).

I'm pursuing two tacks in parallel: (1) I've contacted Blake Rhodes at
IceRocket, and requested that they consider putting up a compatible
weblogUpdates.ping endpoint.  I'm not expecting rapid response here, but
this is the right thing to do in principle, since there is a defacto
standard spec that most of the rest of the world seems to adhere to.  But
also (2) I've filed a Roller JIRA issue
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1192, which I
hope to fix before the next Roller release to add configurable support for
non-conformant ping implementations like IceRocket.

Also before the next Roller release, I am hoping to add common ping target
definitions in default disabled state for most/all of the ping targets I
know about and can verify as working or get to work with this and similar
minor variations.

In the meantime, a workaround is to ping icerocket via ping services like
ping-o-matic or pingoat.  (Expect additional delay and somewhat weaker
guarantees that your ping will be delivered.)

--a.