roller-dev mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Resend -- About weblog view data access
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 22:21:22 GMT
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:59 PM, (David) Ming Xia
<david.ming.xia@ibol.biz> wrote:
>    The current caching system does not fit the task I described.  Current Roller caches
are just local hash maps or hash tables, they are not distributed; It has no synchronization
of weblog content, especially the value ‘Last-Modified’ for multiple server threads.
While nowadays most production environments are clustering environment, composed of multiple
JVMs and application server runtimes.

That's not completely true. Roller has a pluggable page caching and
you can plugin memcached if you want a distributed cache. Code is
available on roller.dev.java.net for the Roller Memcache plugin --
it's not part of Roller because, I think, there is some LGPL
dependency.

For caching of database results, in the past we have used Hibernate's
L2 cache feature, which can also be backed by memcached for
distributed cache. Roller has since switched to OpenJPA, but OpenJPA
also has a pluggable cache.

I would recommend pursuing OpenJPA L2 cache. It would be better if
Roller does not have to implement object caching but can instead rely
on the persistence engine to do that.

- Dave