roller-dev mailing list archives

From "Zac Morris" <...@zacwolf.com>
Subject Re: ACL for viewing individual posts?
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:40:08 GMT

> Just to be absolutely clear, you are interested in setting the
> permissions per blog entry, not per blog?

Yes, but it would also be possible to set one of the groups as
"default" thus making all posts readable only by that "group".

> I don't know how people use this stuff or want to use it but to me it
> seems like if I was going to go to the trouble of setting up
> permissions for something I'd assign them to a blog so that would
> provide a convenient re-use point.

The difference is, like I said in my original post, the
difference between "blog as single topic publishing engine" vs.
"blog as multiple topic journal".

The first approach, which roller now seems to be geared
towards, is where a given blog is matched to a given audience,
and then posts to that specific blog match a given "topic"
readable for everyone reading the blog.  In this model,
entitlement is based on "poster" priviledges, and not reader
priviledges.

The second approach, which LiveJournal is geared towards, is
where a blog is a personal journal, and you basically set the
audience for each of your posts [because each post may not
match a specific "topic"] (i.e. when I post a journal entry that
contains personal information that I only want a group of
friends to see).

I have no problem doing the work, but like I said I see this as
a possible philosophical issue, as it is a paradigm shift of
how roller could be used, so wanted to know if anyone is
diametrically opposed.

> I had an idea about "hierarchical blog names" sort of like group/
> subgroup/.../blogname.

Yeah, it has been my experience that only technically minded
people seem to embrace hiarachical presentation.  Let take the
Windows OS as an example.  Since Windows grew out of DOS, the
hiarachical filesystem is pretty much at the heart of Windows;
but if you ask the majority of non-technical users to bring up
"File Manager" they don't have a clue what you're talking
about.  This is why MS is already looking towards a dB/meta-data
based OS that won't be hiarachical in nature.  Personally I
think that sucks, but I've worked with enough of these
non-technical users to understand that they just don't "get"
hiarachical file systems.

Let me say this all another way.  Typically blogs are mostly
matched to a given "topic".  Let's say a political blog.  An
individual, or a group of contributors, posts a series of
entries that match that given topic that is readable by the
entire "audience".

What I'm talking about is a blog where the contributor IS the
topic.  Since this kind of blog isn't quite so "clear cut" as
say a political blog, each "post" might need a different
audience.  So instead of having to setup multiple indivdiual
"blogs" for different "topics", what I'm talking about is a
journal type approach where I post to a single blog, but then I
can choose the given audience that post is visible to.  Go take
a look at LiveJournal for exactly what I'm talking about.

THANKS!
-Zac

Delivered using the Free Personal edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)