roller-dev mailing list archives

From "Zac Morris" <...@zacwolf.com>
Subject ACL for viewing individual posts?
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:07:23 GMT
Howdy, I've been tasked with some investigation into
implementing blogging within our enterprise.  Being that I'm
not a fan of PHP I prefer roller over wordpress, but there is
some momentum building to select Wordpress over roller.  The
biggie that keeps getting mentioned is:
1) Wordpress development community more active.

I sort of look at them odd when they say that since roller is
an apache project, and it's hard to think of a more active
development community.  So I've decided to try to become active
in the roller development community myself.  I'm not at liberty
to say what company I'm with, just yet, so I'm using my
personal information for now.

The reason that I keep coming back to roller is that it is
based on Java and it supports Oracle (our Enterprise dB solution).

I've been looking deeper and deeper into roller, and the one
feature that seems to me to be missing is the concept of
"audience entitlement".  Said another way, the ability to post
an entry and then set a "group" that can view that entry
[public, friends, custom, private].

My background is a more "journal" based approach to blogging
(i.e. LiveJournal), and not just using blogging as a "public
publishing system" approach, that I think roller represents?

I'm guessing that the fundamental "approach" (journal vs.
publishing) is one of root use case, so I wanted to ask the
roller development community what the thoughts have been
regarding these two different approaches?

As I see it the "journaling" approach is more about social
networking.  Enabling the poster to create dynamic groups that
represent different communities or levels of "trust" regarding
who can see a given post.  This seems to be compatible with
personal usage, but in my opinion also seems to mesh well with
an Enterprise usage.  I say that because most Enterprises
already have several "public publishing" methods in the form of
traditional websites, news/announcement publishing systems,
and/or collaborative workspaces, so what blogging brings to the
Enterprise is this concept of a single place for a user to
post, that then gives them an easy way to choose the audience
for each of those posts.

Before I dig into the code, I wanted to try to understand if
there was any project "philosophy" regarding these approaches.

THANKS!
-Zac Morris

Delivered using the Free Personal edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)