roller-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Another idea
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:51:41 GMT

On Mar 25, 2008, at 6:51 AM, Pavel Konnikov wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:30:44 +0300, Kirill Kosinov
> <kirill.kosinov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Good day.
>>
>> Unfortunately i didn't receive any reply to my previous post, so i
>> may conclude
>> that previous idea is uninteresting. So i decided to propose
>> another one.
>> When i downloaded sources of roller i saw that building and
>> configuring of project is not very comfortable.
>> I think that storing jar's in svn looks not good.
>> Today many apache projects use maven for building, and i wonder
>> why roller doesn't?
>> I used appfuse and the way in which maven is used there looks great.
>> So i propose to improve roller build scripts. If this idea is not
>> enough for gsoc,
>> it may be only my issue to roller's community.
>>
> Imho, migration roller to maven2 is cool idea!
> Maven2 for java projects is standart de facto.

See https://issues.apache.org/roller/browse/ROL-1537

Although the main developers don't seem inclined to consider maven,
IIUC they have shown more willingness to consider use of ivy to get
jars from a maven repo and restructuring the directory layout to
provide a slight correspondence between the project structure and the
artifacts it produces.

Ivy shouldn't be too hard to introduce by means of patches.
Rearranging stuff is a bit harder to do unless you are a committer.
I guess you could supply a script full of "svn mv A B" that a
committer could run.

It's possible that if the project structure got disentangled so it
had the same form as a maven project the comparative simplicity of
maven configuration over ant scripts would become sufficiently
evident that the main developers would reconsider the use of maven.

thanks
david jencks