roller-dev mailing list archives

From "Dyagilev Aleksey" <>
Subject Re: Roller Activities proposal for SoC
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:59:25 GMT
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Dave <> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Dyagilev Aleksey <>
> wrote:
> > Hi folk,
> >
> >  I'm just one of guys who are interested in participating in Google
> Summer of
> >  Code 2008.
> >  I've browsed this mailing list and found out that there are already
> posted
> >  proposals in area that I'm interesting in (e.g. adding micro-blog
> >  functionality)
> >  Now I'm in research state:
> >  - getting familiar with code base to make estimation accurately
> >  - resolving list of features
> >  So, my question is - should I continue this research even the result
> will be
> >  crossed with already existing proposals ?
> Yes, I think so. How are your ideas different from the Roller
> Activities proposal?
> >  A quick note about me:
> >  I'm student in CS, more than year experience in commercial projects,
> two
> >  successfully finished open-source projects, and experience with
> frameworks
> >  that Roller is based on (Spring, Struts, JPA(Hibernate))
> Excellent. That should give you a good head start on understanding
> Roller. However, we only use Spring for security, we're using Struts 2
> and we're no longer using Hibernate.
> - Dave

Hi, Dave

I agree with the core features that are described in "Roller Activities"
proposal. As I mentioned above I've made research into micro-blogging
services (Twitter, Jaiku, Dodgeball, etc),

I took into consideration existing features of these services, user's
feedbacks and their suggestions how to improve them.

So, here is the list of advanced features that could be implemented:

-         Mark posts as favorite. Browse favorites, remove favorite.

-         Add rating system. The more followers you have the higher you are
in rating. So, you can find people that are in top of rating. As far as they
have a huge amount of followers I guess they could be interesting for you (
e.g. Josh Bloch) Lists of your followers and following could be sorted in
such order.

-         Add channels. Channels represent dedicated rooms with members who
are connected, have general idea, interests. Users can join channels to be
able to post there. Here is possible use case:

You find Josh Bloch account by browsing public rating. After adding Josh to
your following list you noticed his posts in "Java" channel. You decided to
join this channel. Great, you've found members of this channel, who
certainly could be potential following. In this channel you can share you
ideas, find friends.

-         Circles. The first circle is your following (or followers), the
second one is following of you following and so on. It's a well-known
feature in social networks and in my opinion is very useful to find new and
old friends.