roller-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Gilliland <Allen.Gillil...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code ideas for Roller?
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:26:13 GMT
I agree that there is a general problem, at least in Roller, with
templating.  We need to 1) make templates easier for people to use and
edit and 2) make them easier to share both as full themes and as
individual snipets so that a community can grow to support itself here.
  I don't know how other java blog software does its templating, but it
would definitely be cool if the solution could work for everyone.

A couple very general thoughts about this ...

1. IMO velocity is not as nice as freemarker as a templating engine.  I
still have more to learn about freemarker, but it looks to have much
more capabilities for creating user defined directives, which I believe
would be a huge improvement over the way we use velocity macros.  Adding
freemarker support to Roller is a one day activity, the only real pain
here is migration for existing users, which I know would not be fun.

2. Whether we could create a solution that works for all java based
blogging software or not, the ability to convert MT and Wordpress themes
into Roller themes would be huge as well.  This would be a great way to
jumpstart the theme library.

-- Allen