roller-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <petersson.pe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for some refactoring around security
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:22:17 GMT
Dave wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 2:56 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>  On Mar 9, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Dave wrote:
>>  > I don't understand why we need to pull this out into a separate
>>  > interface. Why not just leave it in UserManager? That way, somebody
>>  > only has to implement one interface to plugin their own
>>  > User/Permissions manager.
>>  >
>>  My thinking, IIRC, is that the UserManager interface makes a number
>>  of specific assumptions about the relationship between users and
>>  permissions that may not hold with other security  backends such as a
>>  hierarchical rbac model.    With a separate SecurityService interface
>>  we can start to separate permission evaluation, which is pretty
>>  universal, with user provisioning, which may not be so universal.  I
>>  don't recall looking into what the actual dependencies between the
>>  front end and UserManager are so the prospect of using an entirely
>>  different user manager that does not map well to the UserManager
>>  interface may be harder than I dream of :-)
>>

>>  >>  UserSource is the abstraction of what is tracking the current user.
>>  >>  Basically it attempts to avoid looking up the current User object
>>  >>  unless it's really necessary.  For instance with a JACC based
>>  >>  authorization system the security service would already know the
>>  >>  current user from the container login and would not need to consult
>>  >>  the UserSource.
>>  >
>>  > Sounds good, but you've got UserSource in the front-end and you've got
>>  > back-end classes depending on it. UserSource should be in the
>>  > org.apache.roller.weblogger.business package.
>>
>>  ok.... <harp on sore point> if you just had a reasonably structured
>>  maven build I would have realized this from the structure </harp on
>>  sore point>
>>

> Is that Maven patch still up to date. I might like to have a second look at it.

No, surely this patch needs some catching up but if roller have not gone
throw a lot of structural changes/updates in the project tree my guess
is that it is mostly a mater of updating versions in the
dependencyManagement sections of the pom:s and probably some dependency
additions, to take a test spin of a maven built roller via "mvn
jetty:run-war" for other uses of the patch it probably needs some more
tweaking. I think I can get some time to take a look at it and bring it
up to date.
regards
   --peter