roller-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Gilliland <allen.gillil...@sun.com>
Subject Re: refactoring object model for themes
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:56:16 GMT

James M Snell wrote:
> I haven't been able to follow the discussion to this point.. but just a
> quick question: why are you deleting WeblogResource.java?

WeblogResource is actually just being changed into ThemeResource, which
represents a static resource file which is part of a Theme.  There will
then be 2 implementations of ThemeResource ... 1 which represents a user
uploaded file managed by the FileManager and the other being a file that
is part of a shared theme.

The benefit here being that now whenever you are looking for a resource
from a weblog's theme you don't have to keep duplicating the code which
does ... if weblog uses shared theme, look there first, then look in
FileManager ... instead, that logic is part of the Theme, so you just
get to call Theme.getResource(path) and know that you are getting the
resource back from wherever it may need to come from.

-- Allen

> [...]
>> A      src/org/apache/roller/business/themes/SharedTheme.java
>> A      src/org/apache/roller/business/themes/SharedThemeFromDir.java
>> M      src/org/apache/roller/business/themes/ThemeManager.java
>> A      src/org/apache/roller/business/themes/WeblogCustomTheme.java
>>
>> Unless there are further questions or concerns I'd like to commit this
>> today.
>>
>> -- Allen
>>

>> Allen Gilliland wrote:

>>> questions are good =)

>>> The distinction between "Static" and "Weblog" is because we have
>>> multiple contexts in which we use themes, templates, and resources and
>>> the behavior changes a bit depending on the context.  The context
>>> these items are used in is all related to rendering and currently we
>>> only consider rendering weblog templates, however that isn't the right
>>> solution, especially with the new widgets stuff coming in and with the
>>> potential for rendering other kinds of pluggable components.
>>>
>>> So the interfaces for Theme, Template, and Resource are meant to be
>>> the most generic forms of those things.  Then they are subclassed to
>>> provide more targeted interfaces for specific use cases, such as for
>>> use by a weblog or for use by a widget.
>>>
>>> I think I am going to change the naming from "Static" to "Shared"
>>> because I think that will make it a bit easier to understand.

>>> yes.  as I got a little further in the code I realized I didn't fully
>>> detail the necessary object hierarchy for themes.  it will be ...
>>>
>>> Theme (IF)
>>>   +-- SharedTheme (impl)
>>>   +-- WeblogTheme (IF)
>>>       +-- WeblogSharedTheme (impl)
>>>       +-- WeblogCustomTheme (impl)
>>>

>>> so the Theme interface simply defines a way to access the elements
>>> which compose a theme, and the SharedTheme implements that interface
>>> and provides a way to get at those resources off a filesystem right
>>> now. the WeblogTheme represents a theme as attached to a specific
>>> weblog and provides an implementation which is backed by a shared
>>> theme and one which is not.  Neither are modifiable right now because
>>> there is no need, we don't persist the data, but if we decided to do
>>> that then we could add that in.
>>>
>>> for the most part this is just an organizational improvement and not
>>> much more.  it allows us to build up the functionality regarding
>>> themes in a more logical and extensible way because we now access all
>>> weblog theme data through a proper interface so we can control the
>>> underlying functionality by plugging in different implementations very
>>> easily.  For example, there are various ways you might implement a
>>> SharedTheme, one might be our current approach via a folder on the
>>> filesystem, a new approach might be via a jar archive on the
>>> filesystem, a third approach might be in the database somehow, etc.
>>>
>>> ultimately i think this bit of reorganization provides a more natural
>>> way of accessing this data in the object model and better encapsulates

Theme