roller-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Gilliland <allen.gillil...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Roller 3.1 proposal - Replace RTE with Xinha editor
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:18:39 GMT

Dave wrote:
> On 10/6/06, Allen Gilliland <allen.gilliland@sun.com> wrote:
>> +1 on the Xinha editor.
>>
>> Although, one thing you didn't talk about in the proposal is the
>> migration path for users currently using rte.  You can't just remove
>> that editor from the list and add the xinha editor and that's it.
>
> Please check the proposal again. I added a section on improving the
> editor configuration and changing out the old editor using SQL.

I read through the new section about editor configuration and I agree
with what you are trying to do, but I'm wondering if there is an easier
way to do it.  I agree that the editor names should not be jsps, and if
they can use i18n then that's great but IMO not a requirement.

Ultimately I think it would be better to see the editors function like a
plugin rather than just being a jsp which has to be added to the app in
a specific directory.  How to do that is a little tricky and probably
goes outside the scope of what you are trying to do, but maybe we can
lay the groundwork?

For now, what if there was just a simple WeblogEntryEditor interface
which defined a couple methods like getName() and getJspLocation().  The
getName() method can be setup to use the resource bundle to get its i18n
name if desired.  We then layout the config file so that the property
'weblogEntryEditors' contains a comma separated list of class names
which implement that interface.  Then in the couple places where editors
are used (settings page and new entry page) you would change the jsps to
use those classes rather than the hard coded way they work now.

This provides a little bit of infrastructure to the process of defining
a custom editor without requiring much work.  Then eventually we may be
able to replace the getJspLocation() method with something even more
generic like getHtml() which could be backed by velocity or something else.

Would that work?

The only other thing I don't understand from your proposal is why you
have a default text editor and default rich text editor, shouldn't there
just be a single default editor?

-- Allen