roller-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DataMapper/named-queries proposal for JDO and JPA support
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:16:46 GMT
Hi Allen,

First, sorry for missing this message the first time around. As you
probably know, Sun was on its 4th of July break all last week...

On Jun 30, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Allen Gilliland wrote:

> Taking a quick look at the proposal and have a few thoughts ...
>
> 1. Can I get some more explanation about the connection between jdo
> and jpa?  Why do we need implementations of both?

When I first looked at implementing XXXManager for JDO, I started
with the Hibernate implementation and in doing that work, realized
that most of the code was simply translating the XXXManager interface
code to XXXStrategy code. All of the datamapper implementations have
the same notion of making a transient Java instance persistent,
removing the persistent representation, etc. And when I considered
adding a jpa implementation as well, it became clear that I didn't
want to have jdo and jpa implementations with 90% of the code common
without an abstraction that made the common code common and not
simply copied.

> 2. I'm not sure I understand this data mapper strategy.  I thought
> the purpose of the XXXManager classes is already to do this work,
> I'm not sure I see why we need another layer of abstraction here.
> Basically you are now saying that to query for something you need
> to call a Manager, which calls a DataMapper, which calls your ORM
> solution, which does the sql?

Pretty close to what the Hibernate implementation does, except with
the datamapper abstraction, the XXXManager code is actually
identical. With the current Hibernate code, you call the
HibernateXXXManager, which calls the HibernatePersistenceStrategy,
which calls the Hibernate ORM APIs which do the SQL. So the thing I'm
doing is abstracting common code.

> It also feels a little bit like reinventing the wheel since based
> on the example code I saw there will be a new query convention for
> using the data mapper.  So now I need to do extra work because I
> need to understand how to use this custom data mapper language with
> "getByPingTarget&&website", and I still need a data mapper
> implementation which parses the data mapper queries and translates
> them into queries in my ORM tool.

Yes, here there is another layer that is needed to look up the name
of the query getByPingTarget&&website and find the mapper-specific
query. The actual implementation of the query may simply delegate to
the mapper-specific "lookup query by name", as implemented by jdo and
jpa. Or it might use a local hashmap to find the query implementation.

> I haven't used this pattern before so I'm sure I don't fully
> understand how it's supposed to work, but I'm not seeing the
> benefit so far.

If you can appreciate that we would want to support both jdo and jpa,
I think it's worthwhile to actually make common code from the
application-specific XXXManager implementations instead of simply
copying and pasting code from Hibernate to jdo-specific XXXManager
and then copying and pasting code from jdo-specific XXXManager to jpa-
specific XXXManager.

Thanks for the feedback,

Craig

> -- Allen
>

> Dave Johnson wrote:
>> Adding Craig to the CC list.
>> - Dave
>> On 6/29/06, Dave Johnson <snoopdave@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Craig Russell has updated his JDO backend proposal to use a data
>>> mapper and named query architecture instead of developing a query
>>> API.
>>> I think the proposal looks really good:
>>>
>>> <http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_JDOBackend>
>>>
>>> It is my understanding that this new architecture will:
>>>
>>> 1) Make it easy to develop side-by-side implementations of the
>>> Roller
>>> backend using JDO and JPA/EJB3.
>>>
>>> 2) Allow us to specify queries as externalized meta-data, making it
>>> easy for database administrators to review our queries without
>>> having
>>> Java source code access.
>>>
>>> 3) Leave our existing Hibernate impementation in-place, i.e.
>>> Craig is
>>> not proposing that we rewrite our Hibernate implemetation using this
>>> datamapper/named-query approach.
>>>
>>> Craig has already started implementation, but he wants to get some
>>> review and consensus befoe he goes much further. So please review
>>> the
>>> proposal and respond here on the list.
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose that Craig do this work in the sandbox of the
>>> Roller 3.0 branch so he can keep in sync with on-going development
>>> going on there.
>>>
>>> - Dave

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com