roller-dev mailing list archives

From David M Johnson <Davidm.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Proposal: Entry Content
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:26:11 GMT
I've made a small change in the proposal. I was originally going to
map things like this:

RSS
      entry.summary     -->     <description>
      entry.text     -->     <content:encoded>
Atom
      entry.summary     -->     <summary>
      entry.text     -->     <content>

But there are two problems: 1) we're changing the meaning of
<description> from full-content to summary and 2) the meaning of
<content:encoded> is unclear and causes FeedValidator warnings. I
think this approach could cause more problems than it solves.

So I'm going to do this instead for RSS:

RSS
      entry.summary     -->     <atom:summary>
      entry.text     -->     <description>

That way, description remains the same and we add a new element that
is clearly the summary. Aggregators that don't understand
<atom:summary> will see our feeds exactly as before and those that do
will be able to present the correct field as the summary. Plus, the
FeedValidator says it's valid.

I've already committed this change. Any objections to it?

- Dave