roller-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Raible <mrai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: disabling gzip filters by default
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:45:33 GMT
Let's rephrase the question:

For the high-traffic Roller sites, are you using your container to
GZip output, or are you using Roller's built-in GZip filters?

I'm using the built-in filters, not any that are provided by Apache or
Tomcat.  Therefore, I'm -1 on this change.

Matt

On 11/10/05, Allen Gilliland <Allen.T.Gilliland@sun.com> wrote:
> would anyone be opposed to disabling the Roller gzip filters for default installs?
>
> to make it easier to toggle on/off i am thinking we can add a config property like "compressOutput.enabled"
and make some small modifications to the CompressionFilter to check that property before compressing
output.  that seems better than forcing people to modify the web.xml file.

> this seems appropriate because most containers these days offer their own compression
capabilities which means it's one more thing that we don't have to manage ourselves.  obviously
we can leave what we have in place for those users who still want it, but just have it disabled
by default.