river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Rollo <danro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: River Board Report
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 00:10:39 GMT

+1

Dan

From: Peter Firmstone <peter.firmstone@zeus.net.au <mailto:peter.firmstone@zeus.net.au>>
Subject: River Board Report
Date: March 19, 2019 at 7:58:14 PM EDT
To: "<dev@river.apache.org <mailto:dev@river.apache.org>>" <dev@river.apache.org
<mailto:dev@river.apache.org>>

Hello River folk, please review / comment / suggest / changes for the draft board report for
March below.

Regards,

Peter.

- Apache River provides a platform for dynamic discovery and lookup
   search of network services.  Services may be implemented in a number
   of languages, while clients are required to be jvm based (presently at
   least), to allow proxy jvm byte code to be provisioned dynamically.

## Issues:
- Answers to board questions:
idf: It's been a year since the last committer addition. Are there a
    new prospects?
- Not at present, due to low activity and the complexity of the unique monolithic build system.
 We are working to resolve this with a Maven modular build structure.

rs: given 12 vs 16 members of PMC and committership roster, is there
   anything preventing the remaining 4 committers to consider
   joining the PMC?
- There are no blockers, I will ask them to join the PMC.

## Activity:

-  Minimal activity at present, initial work on the modular build structure has commenced.
 The current monolithic build is complex, with it's own build tool classdepandjar, it adds
complexity for new developers. In recent months I have had work committments that have limited
my ability to integrate the modular build.  The other committers are waiting for the modular
build and I have done a lot of work on this locally, this work has been a significant undertaking
integrating the works of Dennis Reedy, Dan Rollo and myself.  This is also a mature codebase,
having been in development since the late 1990's.

Release roadmap:

River 3.1 - Modular build restructure (&   binary release)
River 3.2 - Input validation 4 Serialization, delayed unmarshalling&
safe ServiceRegistrar  lookup service.River 3.3 - OSGi support

## Health report:

- River is a mature codebase with existing deployments, it was primarily designed for dynamic
discovery of services on private networks.  IPv4 NAT limitations historically prevented the
use of River on public networks, however the use of IPv6 on public networks removes these
limitations.  Web services evolved with the publish subscribe model of todays internet, River
has the potential to dynamically discover services on IPv6 networks, peer to peer, blurring
current destinctions between client and server, it has the potential to address many of the
security issues currently experienced with IoT and avoid any dependency on the proprietary
cloud for "things".

- Future Direction:

  * Target IOT space with support for OSGi and IPv6 (security fixes
    required prior to announcement)
  * Input validation for java deserialization - prevents DOS and
    Gadget attacks.
  * IPv6 Multicast Service Discovery (River currently only supports
    IPv4 multicast discovery).
  * Delayed unmarshalling for Service Lookup and Discovery (includes
    SafeServiceRegistrar mentioned in release roadmap), so
    authentication can occur prior to downloading service proxy's,
    this addresses a long standing security issue with service lookup
    while significantly improving performance under some use cases.
  * Security fixes for SSL endpoints, updated to TLS v1.2 with removal
    of support for insecure cyphers.
  * Secure TLS SocketFactory's for RMI Registry, uses
    the currently logged in Subject for authentication.
    The RMI Registry still plays a minor role in service activation,
    this allows those who still use the Registry to secure it.
  * Maven build to replace existing ant built that uses
    classdepandjar, a bytecode dependency analysis build tool.
  * Updating the Jini specifications.

## PMC changes:

- Currently 12 PMC members.
- Last PMC addition was Dan Rollo on Fri Dec 01 2017

## Committer base changes:

- Currently 16 committers.
- Last committer addition was Dan Rollo at Thu Nov 02 2017

## Releases:

- Last release was River-3.0.0 on Thu Oct 06 2016

## /dist/ errors: 4
- TODO - Developer certificates expired, investigate solution.   I created new certificates,
prior to the expiry of my old certificates, should I resign the release artifacts with the
new certificates?

## Mailing list activity:

- Relatively quiet

- dev@river.apache.org <mailto:dev@river.apache.org>:
   - 89 subscribers (down -1 in the last 3 months):