river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: OSGi [PREVIOUSLY]Re: Maven Build
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:21:55 GMT
Yes, I've been thinking about it.

My current thoughts; ServiceUI can be accessed through
net.jini.lookup.ServiceAttributesAccessor, so you can unmarshall
ServiceUI objects, without unmarshalling the service itself.   However I
haven't given much consideration to locating codebases for ServiceUI
yet, at least not for OSGi.

The reality is that lots of different service implementations might have
common ServiceUI components.

Sounds like this is an opportune time to start thinking more about it.

It also makes me wonder whether MarshalledInstance could accept a URI
codebase string, or allow it to be set and retrieved from the current
codebase annotation byte array.

Cheers,

Peter.

On 28/09/2017 2:30 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> Do you have anything planned around ServiceUI?  I really use ServiceUI as a discovery
mechanism to find services which export a UI that a user can interact with.  What can happen
at registration time, besides Entry specification to help with codebase where ServiceUI bits
are at?  Are you just relying on the “service” setup to include all of that detail, or
is there something we can do, to wrap ServiceUI into the mechanism you are talking about here?

> Gregg
>
>> On Sep 27, 2017, at 3:59 AM, Peter<jini@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>>
>> Some updates on thoughts about OSGi:
>>
>>   1. In JGDMS, SafeServiceRegistrar (extends ServiceRegistrar),
>>      ServiceDiscoveryManager and ProxyPreparer allow provisioning of
>>      OSGi bundles for Jini services.
>>   2. SafeServiceRegistrar lookup results contain only instances of
>>      java.lang.reflect.Proxy (implementing ServiceProxyAccessor,
>>      ServiceCodebaseAccessor, ServiceAttributesAccessor) which a user
>>      remarshalls and unmarshalls into their OSGi bundle provisioned
>>      ClassLoader, prior to retrieving the actual service proxy using
>>      ServiceProxyAccessor.
>>   3. As a result different service principals using identical proxy
>>      codebases, needn't share a ClassLoader, addressing the trust
>>      domain issue previously alluded to.
>>   4. There's no current mechanism to allow provisioning of a bundle for
>>      a Registrar.
>>   5. Existing discovery providers accept ClassLoader arguments for
>>      unmarshalling Registrar's.
>>   6. Existing Multicast responses allow for additional information to
>>      be appended; a codebase resource for example.
>>   7. LookupLocator, LookupDiscovery and LookupLocatorDiscovery classes
>>      don't utilise discovery providers ClassLoader arguments.
>>   8. Need to allow bundles to be provisioned for lookup services after
>>      multicast discovery, by exposing discovery provider ClassLoader
>>      arguments and allowing client to manage provisioning of bundle
>>      into a ClassLoader, then passing that in during unicast discovery.
>>   9. Don't break backward compatiblity.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> On 16/11/2016 4:18 PM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
>>> +1 for OSGi providing the best solution to the class resolution problem,
>>> though I think some work will have to be done around trust, as you say.

and the complexities surrounding multiple copies of the same or different versions of the
same classes interacting within the same jvm.  Maven will present a new alternative of maximum
sharing, where different service principals will share the same identity.

proxy should behave when a subprocess is terminated.

it would be a client concern, transparent to the service or server.

be preferable in situations where there is one domain of trust, eg within one corporation
or company.  Max performance.
version incompatibilities may exist, because of separate development teams and administrators.
 Each domain of trust has it's own process domain.  Max compatibility, but slower.

ClassLoaders), slow, compatible and reliable wins over fast and complex or broken.

domain (even a later version of River could be provisioned using Maven).  A subprocess would
exist for each trust domain. So if there are two companies, code from each remains isolated
and communicates only using common api.  No unintended code versioning conflicts.

the service, even if isolated within it's own process will still communicate remotely over
the network using JERI, JSON etc.  This is orthogonal to and independant of remote communication
protocols.

versions of libraries etc within one process, but different trust domains will have a shared
identity, again this may not matter depending on the use case.