river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject A good example of why you should always validate remote input
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2017 09:53:29 GMT
https://lgtm.com/blog/apache_struts_CVE-2017-9805

There seems to be many similar examples these days of developers failing
to validate remote input.

Anyone who's programmed in perl will know about taint mode, designed to
help programmers to validate remotely entered data on webservers.

Of course there may be programmers who don't wan't to validate their
data and we don't want to upset them, just the same as they should not
be attempting to prevent those who want to validate input from doing so.

So to that end, when I reimplemented deserialization to enable atomic
input validation, I made sure that object's serial form didn't need to
change, and that those who didn't want to use it didn't have to.  In
other words, everyone gets to do what they want, I'm not favouring the
security concious, nor those who don't like security, just letting both
camps do as they wish.

I think this is a good way forward for other technologies that have
traditionally been contraversial for River, enable support, but don't
make it mandatory, so those who don't use it aren't forced to, so we
don't get them off side.

Cheers,

Peter.