river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Participation
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2017 07:42:41 GMT
Anyone have some cycles to participate in the release vetting process?

River 3.0.1 is a bug fix release.

Remember if we're unable to continue this project, then we lose the
ability to maintain River / Jini and we also lose the legal protections
and visibility of Apache.

Apart from modularity (which lowers technical barriers to entry) and
improved security, I think the most important upcoming feature is IPv6
support, it would be ironic to see River fall over before IPv6 becomes
ubiquitous, given that the deficiencies of IPv4 is likely responsible
for Jini's failure to gain widespread adoption.

Note also that in spite of "new features" River remains backward
compatible (in the net.jini.* namespace) with earlier releases.  I'm
also working on a compatibility layer for easier migration away from
com.sun.jini to org.apache.river namespaces.

We can't do it by ourselves, we need you too.

Regards,

Peter.