river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Rollo <danro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Report] Apache River - Draft
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 02:04:27 GMT
+1

> On May 7, 2017, at 8:09 AM, dev-digest-help@river.apache.org wrote:
>
> From: Peter <jini@zeus.net.au <mailto:jini@zeus.net.au>>
> Subject: [Report] Apache River - Draft
> Date: May 5, 2017 at 3:55:36 AM EDT
> To: "<dev@river.apache.org <mailto:dev@river.apache.org>>" <dev@river.apache.org
<mailto:dev@river.apache.org>>

> Hi River folks,
>
> Draft board report for May, please make suggestions, remember this is only my point of
view, if yours differs please say so.  It's probably a bit wordy, so could use improvement,
but I want to be honest with the board about the current state of development.

> Regards,
>
> Peter.
>
> <===========================================================>

> - Apache River provides a platform for dynamic discovery and lookup search of network
services.  Services may be implemented in a number of languages, while clients are required
to be jvm based, to allow proxy jvm byte code to be provisioned dynamically.

> ## Issues:
>
> No significant issues requiring board attention at this time.
>
> ## Activity:
>
> - Significant drop in activity since February (205 emails on dev), down to 6 in March
and 8 in April.

> - Proposed Release roadmap received positive responses:
>
> Proposed Release roadmap:
>>
>> River 3.0.1 - thread leak fix
>> River 3.1 - Modular build restructure (&  binary release)
>> River 3.2 - Input validation 4 Serialization, delayed unmarshalling&  safe ServiceRegistrar
 lookup service.
>> River 3.3 - OSGi support
>
> ## Health report:
>
> - Minimal activity at present on dev.
> - Plan to update website with more recent success stories of River deployment, in one
large scale deployment example maintenance costs are low to non existance while reliability
is reportedly very solid in the face of external system failures.  There seem to be at least
four recent examples that need to be added to our success stories.
> - No recent commit activity, but there are plans for more work in near future.
> - Future Direction:
>
>   * Target IOT space with support for OSGi and IPv6 (security fixes required prior to
announcement)
>   * Input validation for java deserialization - prevents DOS and
>     Gadget attacks.
>   * IPv6 Multicast Service Discovery (River currently only support
>     IPv4 multicast discovery).
>   * Delayed unmarshalling for Service Lookup and Discovery (includes
>     SafeServiceRegistrar mentioned in release roadmap), so
>     authentication can occur prior to downloading service proxy's,
>     this addresses a long standing security issue with service lookup
>     while significantly improving performance under some use cases.
>   * Security fixes for SSL endpoints, updated to TLS v1.2 with removal
>     of support for insecure cyphers.
>   * Maven build to replace existing ant built that uses
>     classdepandjar, a bytecode dependency analysis build tool.
>
> ## PMC changes:
>
> - Currently 11 PMC members.
> - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
> - Last PMC addition was Bryan Thompson on Sun Aug 30 2015
>
> ## Committer base changes:
>
> - Currently 15 committers.
> - Zsolt Kúti was added as a committer on Wed Dec 07 2016
> - Bharath Kumar was added as a committer on the 23th March 2017
>
> ## Releases:
>
> - River-3.0.0 was released on Wed Oct 05 2016
>
> ## Mailing list activity:
>
> - Relatively quiet in comparison to recent months, however this appears as a result of
reaching concensus after a period of discussion.