river-dev mailing list archives

From "Michał Kłeczek (XPro Sp. z o. o.)" <michal.klec...@xpro.biz>
Subject Re: OSGi
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2017 01:12:59 GMT
So for a client and a service to be able to communicate they must agree
on a common set of interchangeable CodeRepositories that would allow
them to have a common understanding of names.
In other words - to be able to work - any party first has to contact a
CodeRepository that can authenticate itself as a particular principal.
The issue is that to find the CodeRepository one needs to communicate
with ServiceRegistrar. And to communicate with ServiceRegistrar you need
a CodeRepository!!!. So there needs to be some bootstrapping in place:
- either ServiceRegistrar and CodeRepository constitute as single entity
- there is a bootstrap well known CodeRepository (Maven central?) - its
implementation is based on a well known URL and its implementation code
is shipped with the framework.

Thanks,
Michal

Michał Kłeczek (XPro Sp. z o. o.) wrote:
> Honestly - since I am fixed ( :-) ) on having mobile code treated as
> any other object - I see it something like:
>
> interface CodeBaseModule {
>   ClassLoader createLoader() throws AnyImportantException;
> }
>
> interface CodeRepository {
>   CodeBaseModule getCodeBaseModule(String name, Version version);
>   boolean isSameNamespace(CodeRepository other);
> }
>
> class NamedCodeBase {
>   String name; Version version;
>   CodeRepository repository;
>   boolean equals(Object other) { //check name, version and repo }
> }
>
> Now the question is about the implementation of "isSameNamespace".
> Since the protocol(s) to access code repository might differ (and
> there might be multiple available at the same time), location based
> equality won't work (although is the easiest to implement). My rough
> idea is for the CodeRepository to be able to authenticate as any of a
> set of Principals ( ie. satisfy the ServerMinPrincipal constraint ).
> Two CodeRepository instances are interchangeable if intersection of
> their principal sets is non-empty.
>
> At first I thought about having a global naming scheme - then
> cryptographic hash would constitute the part of the name. But that
> would make names obscure and difficult to remember and write by hand.
> So I came up with an idea to abstract it away - according to "all
> problems in CS can be solved by introducing another level of
> indirection" :)
>
> Thanks,
> Michal
>
> Peter wrote:
>> codebase identity
>>
>> So River codebase identity is currently any number of space delimited RFC 3986 normalised
URI strings.

>> httpmd uses a location filename and message digest.
>>
>> But should location be part of identity?  How can you relocate a codebase once remote
objects are deployed?

>> OSGi and Maven use a name and version to identify a codebase.
>>
>> Might we also need codebase signers (if any) to be part of identity?
>>
>> If no, why not and if yes why?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> Sent from my Samsung device.
>>
>>    Include original message

classes into codebases or class paths.  It’s not a problem with mobile code, it’s a problem
with resolution of objects in mobile code references.  That’s why I mentioned ObjectSpace
Voyager.  It automatically sent/sends class definitions with object graphs to the remote VM.

>>>   Gregg

objects of classes from their own code base.
service (annotated with different codebase).

- exporters that are actually smart proxies.