river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Future of River
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2016 02:59:41 GMT
Patricia, you may be right, it's time to grow the project with external
interest, but we'll need to work on the website and documentation, or
we'll lose them.  I'm hoping to rengage our existing developers at this
stage.

My vision is pretty similar to the vision that the original Jini team
had, but with the lessons of time and hindsight.

To dynamically discover and search software and devices and to be able
to interact with them dynamically using a downloaded service UI or
service api.

We know that River's very useful for building large systems, but we also
know that ClassLoading and versioning create problems, refer to Orbitz.
We know that Dennis' work with Rio solves some of these problems with
Maven and Rio also solves other problems with quality of service.  We
also know that River / Jini is still being used today in projects such
as Blazegraph for scale out (thank you Bryan).

Jini sort of was the first IoT framework, but the underlying IPv4
network requires configuration to support multicast, requires firewalls
and NAT for security and doesn't auto configure itself (IPv6 can and
does) and small devices don't run Java SE jvm, due to battery power
limitations, these devices use C.

We find ourselves in fortunate times, there's IoT, which is being
enabled by IPv6's restoration of end to end connectivity.  There's Java
Serialization security vulnerabilities and RMI in the enterprise space.
The Java team will not take all necessary steps required to secure
serialization and many other serialization schemes are subject to
similar vulnerabilities.  The simple answer is to use secure sockets, to
protect serialization and RMI, but it doesn't solve the problem of
validating data, so you're limited to trusted endpoints only with RMI
and Java serialization.  We can offer a solution to that problem.

People may have forgotten the security benefits of type safety and the
absence of memory errors due to buffer overruns as these are being
overshadowed by serialization and applet vulnerabilties.  The former due
to a lack of input validation and the latter due to vulnerabilities in
the java sandbox.

River does need to be easier to use, that doesn't mean throwing out
what's been done and starting again, but it does mean building tools to
simplify use, such as tools to assist setting up policy files and
certificates etc, or a modular build, or graphical tools to display more
information about jini services.  It doesn't mean we can ignore the
underlying problems in the code either though, such as security issues
or network connectivity.

I think by demonstrating that we can solve some of the most difficult
problems (as others have done eg Dennis Reedy and Gregg Wonderly), we
provide hope that these problems can be solved.  If a problem that
discouraged the adoption of Jini can be solved then that makes River
more useable.  We have many years of mail list history that demonstrate
the problems, the divide between the original goal of Jini and the
actual experiences users had.

http://www.kedwards.com/jini/talks/clbooks/sld001.htm

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-311

Regards,