river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: another interesting link
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2016 07:52:47 GMT
Interesting thanks Gregg, you've pushed the envelope on a number of fronts!.

Cheers,

Peter.

On 2/08/2016 4:26 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> My griddle project on Java.net investigated the notion of using smart comparisons for
equality.  Basically, griddle separates the keys from the object.  The keys are managed and
matched by a matching implementation.  The intent is that key values would be native types,
not downloaded types, but downloaded types are not forbidden.  This would allow you to ask
a much richer question for “watch matches” by sending your read request or take request
with an executable matcher which could do ranges or sets etc.

> Gregg
>
>> On Jul 26, 2016, at 11:21 PM, Peter<jini@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>>
>> Also, there's no reason why logical comparisons cannot be made with numerical objects
during lookup.

>> Although the Entry spec suggests that entry fields are marshalled as MarshalledObject's,
reggie doesn't do this for immutable value objects like Integer etc.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> Sent from my Samsung device.
>>
>>    Include original message

another of Gregg's innovations, delayed unmarshalling, is very important to minimise local
processing.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> Sent from my Samsung device.
>>
>>    Include original message

have a formal name for such contracts.  That would be the Jini way to start working this direction.
The classic issue is that people believe that HTTP is the interface of today.  They don't
understand how POST is contractually equivalent to Jini's invocation layer.

>> The path in a URL is the method name and the payload is the same as arguments.  What
is possible with Jini is to use lookup instead of hardcoded URLs.  People are using hostnames
for lookup services and being satisfied.

>> Gregg
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>   On Jul 26, 2016, at 8:41 AM, Michał Kłeczek (XPro Sp. z o. o.)<michalkleczek@xpro.biz>
 wrote:

>>>   I am well aware of StartNow since that is the first Jini "support library"
I have used. Indeed - it is really easy to use.
>>>   But it is only one side of the issue - the API and some support support code
that is supposed to be linked statically with the service implementation.

>>>   What I am talking about is actually "externalizing" most aspects of a service
implementation so that:
>>>   - you do not have to package any (for some meaning of "any" :) ) libraries
statically (since all code can be downloaded dynamically)
>>>   - you do not have to provide any (for some meaning of "any" :) ) static configuration
(ie. configuration files) - a service should simply use other services and "reconfigure" itself
when those change
>>>   It would go towards some kind of an "agent architecture", with movable objects
(ie "services") being "hosted" by well... other movable objects :). The idea is less appealing
today when we have all the cloud infrastructure, virtualization, software defined networking
etc. Nevertheless still interesting IMHO.

>>>   Thanks,
>>>   Michal
a decade ago. I wanted conventions that provided use of configuration with defaults.

could override default implementation for how the conventions in the APIs created implementation
objects through code or configuration.

a /small/ and simple reggie jar that just handled service registration and not proxy downloading
etc. Make it really easy to register your services without needing class loaders etc, preferably
via some convention rather than configuration. (This is what I’m trying to find the time
to work on.)

with. Or perhaps, as an option;

then be put back in by specifying more advanced configuration options.

your service and have methods available to help you find other services.

And security on top would, ideally, be up to configuration again or perhaps injecting some
alternative implementation of some bean somewhere. But the core premise is, make it easy to
startup, demo and see if it fits what you want it for.

to the jar signer and url (client need not know in advance).
line based output for admin verification of each permission during policy generation).
(to signer and url, very specific) during multicast discovery.