river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: another interesting link
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:28:05 GMT
My StartNow project on Java.net aimed directly at this mode of operation a decade ago.  I wanted
conventions that provided use of configuration with defaults.

You just extend PersistantJiniService and call start(serviceName).  Subclasses could override
default implementation for how the conventions in the APIs created implementation objects
through code or configuration.

The intent was to create THE API to provide the conventions of service creation.

We have a Window/JWindow class and don't have to do all the decorating ourselves.

Jini service construction should work the same way!

Gregg

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 26, 2016, at 5:50 AM, Tom Hobbs <tvhobbs@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> I would say the comment on that blog sums everything about Jini up.
>
> It’s just too hard to set up and get working.
>
> That’s why I think simplifying reggie is possibly a first step.  Make a /small/ and
simple reggie jar that just handled service registration and not proxy downloading etc.  Make
it really easy to register your services without needing class loaders etc, preferably via
some convention rather than configuration.  (This is what I’m trying to find the time to
work on.)

> I’d really like to be able to type;
>
> $ java -jar reggie.jar
>
> And have a reggie running with all the defaults ready to register my services with.
Or perhaps, as an option;

> $ java -jar reggie.jar —ipv6
>
> Security, class loading, proxy downloading and all the rest of it could then be put back
in by specifying more advanced configuration options.

> My Scala service would be great if I could define it just as;
>
> object MyCoolService extends LazyLogging with ReggieRegistration with ReggieLookup
>
> Or in Java with default interface methods;
>
> class MyCoolService implements ReggieRegistration, ReggieLookup
>
> And that would be it, congratulations you’ve started a reggie and registered your service
and have methods available to help you find other services.

> This would satisfy use cases where the network was private and/or trusted.  And security
on top would, ideally, be up to configuration again or perhaps injecting some alternative
implementation of some bean somewhere.  But the core premise is, make it easy to startup,
demo and see if it fits what you want it for.

>> On 26 Jul 2016, at 02:58, Peter <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> Note the comment about security on the blog?
>>
>> Steps I've taken to simplify security (that could also be adopted by river):
>> 1. Deprecate proxy trust, replace with authenticate service prior to obtaining proxy.
>> 2. proxy codebase jars contain a list of requested permissions to be granted to the
jar signer and url (client need not know in advance).
>> 3. Policy file generation, least privilege principles (need to set up command line
based output for admin verification of each permission during policy generation).
>> 4 Input validation for serialization.
>> 5. DownloadPermission automatically granted to authenticated registrars (to signer
and url, very specific) during multicast discovery.