river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: another interesting link
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:50:43 GMT
I would say the comment on that blog sums everything about Jini up.

It’s just too hard to set up and get working.

That’s why I think simplifying reggie is possibly a first step.  Make a /small/ and simple
reggie jar that just handled service registration and not proxy downloading etc.  Make it
really easy to register your services without needing class loaders etc, preferably via some
convention rather than configuration.  (This is what I’m trying to find the time to work
on.)

I’d really like to be able to type;

$ java -jar reggie.jar

And have a reggie running with all the defaults ready to register my services with.  Or perhaps,
as an option;

$ java -jar reggie.jar —ipv6

Security, class loading, proxy downloading and all the rest of it could then be put back in
by specifying more advanced configuration options.

My Scala service would be great if I could define it just as;

object MyCoolService extends LazyLogging with ReggieRegistration with ReggieLookup

Or in Java with default interface methods;

class MyCoolService implements ReggieRegistration, ReggieLookup

And that would be it, congratulations you’ve started a reggie and registered your service
and have methods available to help you find other services.

This would satisfy use cases where the network was private and/or trusted.  And security on
top would, ideally, be up to configuration again or perhaps injecting some alternative implementation
of some bean somewhere.  But the core premise is, make it easy to startup, demo and see if
it fits what you want it for.

> On 26 Jul 2016, at 02:58, Peter <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:
>
> Note the comment about security on the blog?
>
> Steps I've taken to simplify security (that could also be adopted by river):
> 1. Deprecate proxy trust, replace with authenticate service prior to obtaining proxy.
> 2. proxy codebase jars contain a list of requested permissions to be granted to the jar
signer and url (client need not know in advance).
> 3. Policy file generation, least privilege principles (need to set up command line based
output for admin verification of each permission during policy generation).
> 4 Input validation for serialization.
> 5. DownloadPermission automatically granted to authenticated registrars (to signer and
url, very specific) during multicast discovery.