river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: State of the Project
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:53:50 GMT
I've started by modifying the build script to sign jar files, for the new code signing certificate
from Symantec.

I've been somewhat time poor lately, but am progressing.

I will have some new release candidates in the near future.

While in the short term this will probably be considered a beta release, in the longer term
it pays down technical debt in updating the codebase to Java's current memory model, no longer
will minor changes uncover latent race conditions, the code is no longer brittle.

Next steps are to allow and encourage interested developers to make improvements.  Without
change, evolution cannot function and extinction becomes inevitable.   Progress only happens
with change.

Regards,

Peter.

Sent from my Samsung device.

  Include original message
---- Original message ----
From: Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>
Sent: 20/07/2016 06:28:26 am
To: dev@river.apache.org
Subject: State of the Project

We are due to file a board report next month. Last cycle, I first
initiated an open-ended discussion of the state of the project. I
included a summary in the board report. The feedback from the board was
positive:

> mt: Thanks for the frank assessment of River's health.
>
>   sc: +1 to mt: bad news is fine - the fact you're clearly analyzing

>       and working on it is the great part of this report.

I would like to repeat the analysis each quarter, both for my own
information and in order to keep the board informed.

Any opinions on where we are and where we are going?

Thanks,

Patricia