river-dev mailing list archives

From "Michał Kłeczek (XPro Sp. z o. o.)" <michal.klec...@xpro.biz>
Subject Re: another interesting link
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:03:11 GMT
In my dreams I always thought of "self configuring" and "adapting"
services. So instead of reading a "configuration" a service would simply
search for other services and use them. Exporter service being an example.
Ideally - the only thing that should be configured would be the
"identity" (ie. credentials) of a service principal(s).

That would be possible once dynamic code downloading is done right :)

And one more remark - dynamic proxy does not imply avoiding codebases
and code downloading. You have to download service interface classes.
You have to download invocation handler implementation class.

Thanks,
Michal
> Peter <mailto:jini@zeus.net.au>
> July 26, 2016 at 12:43 PM
>
> Perhaps a script that detects the environment, asks a few questions
> and creates the config files?  These can be edited for more complex
> configurations.
>
> I've added a couple of default methods to ServiceRegistrar, the new
> lookup method doesn't return the service proxy's, so the registrar is
> basically used just for search, the client then contacts each service
> it's interested in.
>
> Starting off with simple services that only use dynamic proxy's
> (java.lang.reflect.Proxy instances), avoids codebases.
>
> Reggie still requires a codebase, however if we sign it, this
> addresses code trust.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter.
>
> Sent from my Samsung device
>
>   Include original message

simple reggie jar that just handled service registration and not proxy downloading etc.  Make
it really easy to register your services without needing class loaders etc, preferably via
some convention rather than configuration.  (This is what I’m trying to find the time to
work on.)

> I’d really like to be able to type;
>
> $ java -jar reggie.jar
>
> And have a reggie running with all the defaults ready to register my services with.
Or perhaps, as an option;

> $ java -jar reggie.jar —ipv6
>
> Security, class loading, proxy downloading and all the rest of it could then be put back
in by specifying more advanced configuration options.

> My Scala service would be great if I could define it just as;
>
> object MyCoolService extends LazyLogging with ReggieRegistration with ReggieLookup
>

> Or in Java with default interface methods;
>
> class MyCoolService implements ReggieRegistration, ReggieLookup
>
> And that would be it, congratulations you’ve started a reggie and registered your service
and have methods available to help you find other services.

> This would satisfy use cases where the network was private and/or trusted.  And security
on top would, ideally, be up to configuration again or perhaps injecting some alternative
implementation of some bean somewhere.  But the core premise is, make it easy to startup,
demo and see if it fits what you want it for.