river-dev mailing list archives

From Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Attic? Was: Re: Lotj - languages other than java
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 08:08:28 GMT
On 05-07-16 14:51, Bryan Thompson wrote:
> GitHub (at least) provides excellent tracking.  It is a matter of how you
> define policy for PRs.  We do not accept PRs unless the author is a
> contributor with appropriate CLAs for the project.  So it works out very
> nicely for us.  Every single commit and its authorship remains visible and
> that metadata can be easily accessed.

Is changing the version control system really going to change the
problems we have?

The same goes for maven or not, gradle or ant, etc.

One direction wants a stable release with bugfixes, and strict
maintaining of the original api, the other side wants to change things.

No resolution in sight. I really like the Apache governance, and it
gives everybody the freedom to fork it under its own. Apache is
definitly not the problem here.

Apache is a tool, a tool that shows us that we need to cooperate in
order to make progress. You can switch to git, and fork all you like,
like so many other projects. But then you have a few forks, sitting
stale on github. With sometimes an individual caring about it, or more
times not. Apache goes beyond individuals, and currently it shows we
haven't made that step.

G. Simon

--
QCG, Software development, 071-5890970, http://www.qcg.nl