river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Attic? Was: Re: Lotj - languages other than java
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 08:26:26 GMT
Can we move to git, without moving to GitHub?

https://www.linux.com/blog/apache-hadoop-transitions-git

A concern I have with moving to GitHub is DCMA take down notices and IP:

https://github.com/github/dmca

The Apache foundation provides us with legal support as well as governance.

I always thought we could find a common code base that people can agree
on, without hobbling the abilities or ambitions of those that want to do
more.

The next steps for me, when I have time, will be to update trunk version
to River 2.3.0 from River 3.0.0, update the release notes, generate and
sign the release artifacts with our new code signing certs, that Apache
recently paid for, for our next round of voting.

I'm not ready to admit defeat yet, that's what the attic represents.
The project has survived longer periods of stagnation or disagreement in
the past, such as during incubation and become active again.

Regards,

Peter.