river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: IoT
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2016 02:49:15 GMT
The maximum number of devices that can be on the internet with IPV4 is equal to the maximum
number of IPV4 unique public addresses times the number of ports available for TCP at 65535
and UDP at 65535.  Basically, quadrillions if there was a single protocol ever active on each
device.  Some of the bits in the IPV4 header protocol field could be used as multipliers for
another few quadrillions more.  I’m still surprised that there is not visible, if not wide
spread use of the protocol bits as network multipliers.  Perhaps there are in some places
in the world.

There are lots of IPV4 possibilities.  But, there are limitations obviously.  I’ve been
hoping for ipv6 for a decade and it should of happened two decades ago...

Gregg