river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: State of the project
Date Mon, 02 May 2016 16:50:21 GMT
I’d sum it up by saying that the project is on life support - but it could pull through.

There’s still a release in the pipeline, which hopefully we can get out pretty soon.  From
that point I think we should revisit carrying on as-is, introducing some radical breaking
changes or the attic.

> On 2 May 2016, at 11:33, Peter <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:
>
> On 2/05/2016 8:59 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> The next River report to the board is due May 11th. I am supposed to keep the board
informed of the state of the community. With that in mind, I would welcome input from anyone
with an opinion on the matter.

> Well it's not looking too healthy, although it appears we still have enough pmc members
to vote (4 active), we've lost a committer recently, interest in the project is tapering off.

> Most of the code in River is aged between 12 and 18 years old, while the architectural
design principles employed are sound, parts of the api are showing their age.

> River is tied to Java and is currently deployed in server back end, private networks.
 There may be some hope in IoT, however at present we don't support Android and have limited
scope outside of Java.  River is also tied to Java serialization, which has fallen out of
favour for newer protocols in recent times.

> Although some steps have been made toward modularising River, the monolothic build is
hampering development efforts:
> Modules allow a development campaign to focus on one module, allowing earlier completion,
followed by review and release of an updated module.  The large monolothic codebase, prolongs
a campain, (eg fixing race conditions) and makes it difficult for other developers to keep
up with changes, resulting in generation of our own FUD and makes it difficult to release
often.