river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Draft report
Date Tue, 10 May 2016 10:06:16 GMT
+1

Looks fine to me.

> On 9 May 2016, at 15:59, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:
>
> This is a draft for the May 2016 board report.

> - Apache River software provides a standards-compliant JINI service.
>
> ## Issues:
> - As discussed under "Health report", the project does have issues to deal with, but
it also has a functioning PMC to deal with them.

> ## Activity:
> - The main activity is preparing for the next release, currently renamed 2.3.0
>
> ## Health report:
> - One of the active PMC members has resigned (moved to emeritus list). Given the small
size of the active core, this is a significant blow, triggering discussion of the state and
future of the project.

> - The project has technical issues, including age of code, lack of support for use in
languages other than Java, lack of support for Android, and dependence on Java serialization.

> - Possibly as a result of the technical issues, there may be a tapering off of interest
in the project, making it hard to attract new committers and PMC members.

> - Future paths that will be considered by the PMC include carrying on as-is, making radical
changes possibly in the direction of IoT, or going to the attic. We intend to complete at
least one more release first.