river-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [vote] should we fix security flaws?
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2016 01:38:40 GMT
I don't think we should delay the release to fix security. 

You have your reasons for not voting and I respect that.

 Fixing security isn't technically difficult and I  have fixes available, I'm hoping for
collaborative development, so they receive peer review / modification / alternate solutions
/ suggestions / feedback / rejection etc.

 I haven't been successful communicating / discussing security and I think that will take
some time to sort out.

The ability to take down servers using dos is annoying and easily demonstrated (I've started
writing some code to do so), however Gadget attacks allow an attacker to take over systems,
steal data etc, but are less easily demonstrated.  While there are existing known gadget
attacks, the ones I'm aware of have fixes, so I'll be looking for a zero day to demonstrate.
 While whack a mole is one approach to fixes, it would be better to provide an api to support
input validation.


Gadget attacks create object graphs using existing local classes to create execution paths
that perform malicious actions during deserialization, this is a relatively recent development.
 Security advisories recommend against deserializing from untrusted sources.

The intent of the vote request is to determine whether fixing security issues is an option
in future.   

If the result is no, it's my intention is to focus on getting River off svn into git, so it's
easier to maintain my own branch while sharing and contributing to a common code base.

If yes then I'll work on improving my communication skills for discussing  security related

Discussing this won't hold up a release as the time windows available for me to work on producing
a release are weekends only.  I'm going to have to create the release artifacts on MSWindows,
so need to check the scripts work properly and understand recent build changes.

I also have other goals, I'll be ready to set up a public service registrar, discoverable
over ipv6 in the near future. 

If the no vote wins, I promise not to mention security on this list again.



Sent from my Samsung device.
  Include original message
---- Original message ----
From: Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>
Sent: 08/04/2016 06:34:23 am
To: dev@river.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] [vote] should we fix security flaws?

I am not prepared to vote on this. 

First of all, I would need, on a private list where we can go into  
details of security issues, to get a feeling for the seriousness of the  
flaws in question. A denial of service is, in many contexts, less  
serious than file corruption. 

We may want to consider investigating the actual and proposed use-cases  
for River before deciding this. 

Do you feel any of the security flaws in question are release-blockers  
for River 3.0? How long would fixing them first delay the release? 

On 4/7/2016 12:36 PM, Peter wrote: 
> How do people on this project feel about security flaws? 
> Should we be fixing them? 
> I can provide evidence of vulnerabilities, I'm not proposing my fixes be adopted.

> Vote: 
>   +1 Yes we should aim to fix security flaws. 
> 0 don't care. 
> -1 No. 
> Regards, 
> Peter. 
> Sent from my Samsung device. 

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message