river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Release vote procedure
Date Sat, 09 Jan 2016 17:39:35 GMT
Now that we have a release candidate (YEAH!), we need to sort out how
and when to vote on it. We have two proposals, copied from different
e-mails.

Peter Firmstone:
> Voting on this release will commence in 4 weeks, to allow time for
> people to check they can reproduce these artifacts and test their
> code and report back with any issues.

Greg Trasuk:
> Why not just go ahead and call the vote now?  Once we have 3 ‘+1’s
> saying it meets the license requirements, then we can put it up on
> the main page.

Each of these has possible problems.

Peter's plan takes at least 31 days: 4 weeks followed by a minimum of 72
hours for the vote. That may be longer than necessary.

On the other hand, people who succeed in building and testing may be
ready to vote sooner than people who have problems, so we could hit
three +1 votes early, even if there would also have been three -1 votes.
A vote needs to have a definite time period. Also, releases are not
vetoed by -1 votes, but if anyone detects a serious problem we need to
stop and regroup, even if three PMC members have built and tested
successfully.

I suggest a two phase process similar to Peter's plan, but without the
fixed time frame. Instead, anyone who plans to vote should record their
intent here, proceed with building and testing, and report their
results. Deal with any issues on a consensus basis - I'm hoping there
will be none because the issues have already been discussed.

When most PMC members who plan to vote have reported success, we can
call an immediate 72 hour (or slightly longer) vote.

Patricia