river-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Drop support for Activation?
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:21:15 GMT
I was trying to remember precisely what is in "activation".  I found this
[1]. From [1]:

"Distributed object systems are designed to support long-lived persistent
objects. Given that these systems will be made up of many thousands
(perhaps millions) of such objects, it would be unreasonable for object
implementations to become active and remain active, taking up valuable
system resources for indefinite periods of time. In addition, clients need
the ability to store persistent references to objects so that communication
among objects can be re-established after a system crash, since typically a
reference to a distributed object is valid only while the object is active."

So the concept here was long lived object references and robustness of
those references.

This all seems very appropriate for IoT, but perhaps the goal of such
durable / robust / on demand (re-)activation of services is now met through
other mechanisms?  Something that does not need to be part of River?

Thanks,
Bryan

[1]
http://www.javaworld.com/article/2076173/soa/activatable-jini-services--part-1--implement-rmi-activation.html

----
Bryan Thompson
Chief Scientist & Founder
SYSTAP, LLC
4501 Tower Road
Greensboro, NC 27410
bryan@systap.com
http://blazegraph.com
http://blog.blazegraph.com

Blazegraph™ <http://www.blazegraph.com/> is our ultra high-performance
graph database that supports both RDF/SPARQL and Tinkerpop/Blueprints
APIs.  Blazegraph is now available with GPU acceleration using our disruptive
technology to accelerate data-parallel graph analytics and graph query.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and its contents and attachments are
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and are confidential or
proprietary to SYSTAP. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
dissemination or copying of this email or its contents or attachments is
the sender by reply email and permanently delete all copies of the email