river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject [Discuss - Remove JRMP and IIOP support]
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:02:42 GMT
Hello all:

I’d like to suggest removing JRMP support (i.e. pre-compiled proxy classes), and IIOP support
(i.e. CORBA).  JRMP is nicely replaced by JERI, which offers security and doesn’t require
you to create compiled proxy classes by running rmic.  JRMP support was originally included
in the Jini 2.0 release waaay back in 2001 or so, in order to allow backwards compatibility
with Jini 1.2 installations.  The IIOP support could in theory provide compatibility with
native CORBA services (does anyone still do that?) or EJBs, but to my knowledge, it wasn’t
widely used.

The main reason for pruning theses capabilities is that unused code still requires maintenance
and increases the chance of bugs.  Also I think that as we go forward with refactoring, renaming,
restructuring the build and so on, it seems wasteful to do that work on code that isn’t
actually in use.

Obviously, the code remains in Subversion and in the 2.2.2 release, so if someone wants to
get it back, we (or they) could package it into a different deliverable.  But I wouldn’t
plan on doing that unless there’s actual demand for it.

My thought is to put this out there for discussion - If there is consensus after a few days
I’ll call a lazy-consensus vote.   I’ll be happy to do the work in the 2.2 branch.

So, I propose to drop support for the following:

net.jini.jrmp.**
net.jini.iiop.**

QA Harness classes that test any of the above.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk