river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Drop support for Activation?
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 20:11:18 GMT

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 2:21 PM, Bryan Thompson <bryan@systap.com> wrote:
>
> I was trying to remember precisely what is in "activation".  I found this
> [1]. From [1]:
>
> "Distributed object systems are designed to support long-lived persistent
> objects. Given that these systems will be made up of many thousands
> (perhaps millions) of such objects, it would be unreasonable for object
> implementations to become active and remain active, taking up valuable
> system resources for indefinite periods of time. In addition, clients need
> the ability to store persistent references to objects so that communication
> among objects can be re-established after a system crash, since typically a
> reference to a distributed object is valid only while the object is active."
>
> So the concept here was long lived object references and robustness of
> those references.
>
> This all seems very appropriate for IoT, but perhaps the goal of such
> durable / robust / on demand (re-)activation of services is now met through
> other mechanisms?  Something that does not need to be part of River?

“Long-lived persistent objects” reminds me of the Entity EJBs in EJB 1 and 2.  The metaphor
there was that every entity (e.g. a User) was represented by a persistent object, identified
by a primary key, and you interacted with the entity by making remote method calls on the
entity’s proxy.  The problem was that the typical interaction would be ‘getName()’,
‘getEmail()’, 'getUserId()’, ‘getPhoneNumber()’, etc.  By the time you had any useful
interaction you might have made 10-15 remote method calls.  Put twenty entities on a web page,
and you might need to make hundreds of remote calls to display the page.  In other words,
the distributed objects were at the wrong level of granularity.

If we have distributed services, on the other hand, we can readily accommodate the right granularity
in the service design.  In that case, though, activation only makes sense if we have so many
services that it isn’t practical to keep them all alive at the same time.  Typically you
have a reasonable number of services in any given virtual machine instance.  I suspect that
if you really did have that many services that needed activation, you’d end up with a really
slow system because the overhead of activating and passivating services would far outweigh
the time spend in actual service calls.

So, I don’t see much of a use case for Activation.  I’m interested to see if anyone else
does.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk