river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@trasuk.com>
Subject [Discuss] Drop support for Activation?
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 15:21:47 GMT
Hello all:

Last week I asked about removing activation from River, both the 2.2 and 3.0 branches.  There
didn’t seem to be a lot of anti-removal feeling, so I’d like to formally propose removing
Activation.  There are a couple of other things that we could possibly remove, like JRMP support
(i.e. pre-compiled proxy classes), but we should probably discuss those separately.

The main reason for this is that unused code still requires maintenance and increases the
chance of bugs.  Also I think that as we go forward with refactoring, renaming, restructuring
the build and so on, it seems wasteful to do that work on code that isn’t actually in use.

Obviously, the code remains in Subversion and in the 2.2.2 release, so if someone wants to
get it back, we (or they) could package it into a different deliverable.  But I wouldn’t
plan on doing that unless there’s actual demand for it.

My thought is to put this out there for discussion - If there is consensus after a few days
I’ll call a lazy-consensus vote.   I’ll be happy to do the work in the 2.2 branch.

So, I propose to drop support for the following:

Activation -
 	com.sun.jini.phoenix.*
	com.sun.jini.phoenix.resources.*
	net.jini.activation.*

Norm / LeaseRenewalService - is pretty much unneeded without activation
	com.sun.jini.norm.**

Activatable implementation of the infrastructure services
	com.sun.jini.fiddler.ActivatableFiddlerImpl
	com.sun.jini.mahalo.ActivatableMahaloImpl
	com.sun.jini.mercury.ActivatableMercuryImpl
	com.sun.jini.reggie.PersistentRegistrarImpl

Starter for Activatable Services
	com.sun.jini.start.ActivateWrapper
	com.sun.jini.start.SharedActivatableServiceDescriptor
	com.sun.jini.start.SharedGroupImpl

QA Harness classes that test any of the above.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk