river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Drop support for Activation?
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2015 02:01:12 GMT

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 6:53 PM, Peter <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:
>
> On long lived Objects:
>
> one of the design issues with the lookup service is the codebase annotation and
> proxy are uploaded and stored.  unfortunately these can change over time, and codebase
annotations can be lost.

I’m confused here - why would the proxy or codebase annotation change on a service that
is alive, without the service informing the registrar?  The only case where that would happen
is if the service dies and a new one starts up.  In that case, either the new service would
re-use the original serviceID, hence overwrite the original registration, or the lease on
the original registration should expire in a reasonable time, causing the original registration
to be dropped.

> When i was investigating security, I looked into Reggie only storing a bootstrap proxy
(local code only) which solves a number of problems:

> 1. No unnecessary codebase downloads.
> 2. codebase annotation and proxy obtained directly from service, is always current.
> 3. long lived objects could be wrapped and refreshed using the bootstrap proxy.
> 4. codebase and proxy download occurs after authentication.

A service implementation could certainly take the bootstrap proxy approach as an implementation
practice.  Shouldn’t really affect Reggie either way.  Reggie does not load the registered
proxies, hence it has no reason to download any remote code.  This is one huge advantage that
Reggie has over rmid - it’s clients can evolve without requiring a Reggie restart.

> Another issue we have is with the Entry specification, it doesn't allow Entry classes
to evolve without breakage, it is far less flexible than Serializable objects for example.
 This has implications for Javaspaces, occasionally we have developers with deployments who
have discovered this the hard way.

> Breaking changes in Entry objects:
> 1. Changing the order of fields.
> 2. Changing the name of a field.
> 3. Adding a field to a parent class breaks all subclasses.
> 4. Changing a fields type.
>
> We could update the entry spec to address these issues.

Is it reasonable to evolve Entry objects?  If they’re a communications mechanism, does it
make sense that an Entry producer and an Entry consumer should have different ideas of what’s
in a given Entry type?

Not to mention, the Outrigger implementation does all the marshalling and unmarshalling of
Entry objects in the SpaceProxy, i.e. on the client (to Outrigger) side.  Outrigger itself
never loads the classes.  So it would seem that evolution of Entrys is not Outrigger’s concern
- it’s between the users of the Space.  Similarly Reggie marshalls Entrys on the client
side