river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <peter.firmst...@zeus.net.au>
Subject IPv6 Multicast Address Registration completed
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:31:01 GMT
Our existing IPv4 Multicast Addresses:

224.0.1.84 jini-announcement
224.0.1.85 jini-request

Our newly assigned IPv6 multicast addresses:

> Dear Peter,
>
> IANA has listed you as the point of contact for the following variable scope addresses:
>
> FF0X:0:0:0:0:0:0:155	jini-announcement
> FF0X:0:0:0:0:0:0:156	jini-request
>
> Should we also add a link to the Jini Discovery&  Join Specification to the Reference
column?

> Please see
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses
>
> In your assigned variable-scope addresses -- which can also be listed as "FF0X::155"
and "FF0X::156" for short -- the "X" denotes any possible scope. Assignment in the variable
scope range means that you can use your address with any scope you like, while avoiding conflicts
with other assignments/uses.

> This means if your use is strictly link-local, you can use FF02::155 (and/or 156). But
also if, for instance, in the future, you want to do discovery within a site, you are also
free to use FF05::155. If you like, you can think of this as being assigned multiple addresses,
one for each scope value.

We need to add these multicast addresses to our discovery and join
specification and look at updating River for IPv6.

Regards,

Peter.