river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Questions about the Reference Collection dependencies. Was: Re: Release 3.0
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 07:00:48 GMT
In ServiceDiscoveryManager, it's used to to cache
ServiceDiscardTimerTasks in a ConcurrentHashMap with key's that are
weakly referenced by ServiceID.

PreferredClassProvider, uses it to cache weakly referenced Classloaders
(values) in a ConcurrentHashMap using a LoaderKey that contains URI []
representing a codebase annotation, with a weakly referenced parent
ClassLoader.  It's also used to provide a weakly referenced set, the set
is read and modified by concurrent threads.

In CombinerSecurityManager it's used to cache time referenced
NavigableSet's of Permission's, these sets are then stored as values in
a ConcurrentMap with security contexts as keys.

Custard apple adds weak, soft and time (since last access) based
reference control to existing Java collection implementations.
References can be identity or equality based.

Further information is available in the javadoc.

I'm a little busy right now to consider moving custard apple.  If you
wan't you can always copy only the code in use into org.apache.river.impl

Regards,

Peter.

On 10/08/2015 11:28 PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
> Peter:
>
> All other things equal, I’d like to keep the core of River free of external dependencies,
so I’m trying to understand what custard-apple is for.

> First, I wonder, since you are the author, is it used solely in River? and if so, if
you wouldn’t like to just contribute the library to River so we can have an integrated source
tree.  That would save us having to figure out how to handle the dependency and save you from
having to maintain the library externally (unless of course there are other users that need
it).  Alternately, perhaps commons-collections would be a good home, that would see a larger
audience.

> Second, I’m trying to understand what the driver is for usage.  For instance, I had
a look in ServiceDiscoveryManager, and it looks like you’re using a custard-apple collection,
but I don’t see why it’s needed over a ConcurrentHashMap.  Could you enlighten me?

> Thanks,
>
> Greg
>
>> On Aug 10, 2015, at 7:53 AM, Peter<jini@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>>
>> One more to add to the list to answer Greg's question, ReggieTestNameServiceProvider
was removed from the river qa test sources to allow tests to run on platforms other than Sun's
Jdk, such as J9, to prevent build compile errors.

>> Again this library is only used for testing.
>>
>> asm isn't required for downstream projects using Maven.  asm is used for River's
build for historical reasons to support classdep.

>> If users don't need the performance improvement that CombinerSecurityManager provides,
they won't require high-scale-lib.  CombinerSecurityManager avoids duplicated security checks
(from identical context) by weakly caching (by caller context's) the result of security checks,
this reduces unnecessary network traffic caused by duplicated security checks.

>> Only custard-apple is required.
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> On 10/08/2015 6:04 PM, Peter wrote:
>>> Pat,
>>>
>>> I don't have much time, but I'll assist you where I can.
>>>
>>> First things first, you'll need a Unix environment.
>>>
>>> I'd copy Dennis newly created branch to a 3.0 release branch, then run the qa
test suite and jtreg test suite.

>>> ant all.build
>>> ant qa.run
>>> cd ./qa
>>> ant jtreg
>>> cd ../
>>> ant release
>>>
>>> To answer Greg's question:
>>>
>>>    The custard-apple library is available on Sourceforge, it's a
>>>    Collections wrapper library that enables weak, soft and strong
>>>    reference combinations in any java Collection implementation.  This
>>>    library is required.  high-scale-lib is also required.
>>>
>>>    Test code in the jtreg test suite depends on the bouncy castle
>>>    library to provide Certificate Authority functionality to sign
>>>    certificates.  All certificates in other branches have expired, I'm
>>>    sure there are other people on the dev list would have experienced
>>>    and be aware of these test failures, these tests pass on this
>>>    suite.  This library isn't required by down stream developers.
>>>
>>>    dnsjava is used in the qa test suite, it isn't required by down
>>>    stream developers.
>>>
>>>    animal sniffer was again used for testing api changes and isn't
>>>    required for down stream development.
>>>
>>>    Velocity was used by Sim and at least one other developer for
>>>    configuration purposes, this library is optional.
>>>
>>>    Libraries required by test suites should stay for testing purposes
>>>    but aren't required by release artifacts.
>>>

>>> Regaring the current trunk, there are contributions made by Sim (network and
other improvements), after the stable branch point (chosen for qa-refactor) that need to be
integrated back at some point.  The test failures after the trunk =>  qa-refactor branch
point are latent concurrency bugs, they are not directly related to Sim's code.

>>> This should help you get started...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Peter.

on dealing with the dependency issue.

to first sort out the dependencies question I pointed out earlier.

board report, and assign myself an action item to fix it.

mailing list for a mentor who is familiar with the release process to guide me through the
steps. However, I am very open to alternative suggestions.

can report them and
release now.  Let the

Shanahan<pats@acm.org>

release blocker it