river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Release 3.0
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2015 00:43:31 GMT
I wasn’t planning to act as RM myself - like I said, I think someone more familiar with that
branch needs to do it.

On the dependencies, what I’m referring to is the fact that projects in the Incubator get
raked over the coals all the time for including jar files in releases, because Apache projects
are supposed to distribute just open source code.

This was why I originally raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-432 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-432>
and later on raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-434 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-434>.
 There are links in the Jira issues to various discussions.

The jars in the dep-libs folder are:
	- animal-sniffer 1.6
	- asm 5.0.1
	- bouncy-castle 1.46
	- dnsjava-2.1.3
	- high-scale-lib (no apparent version)
	- custard-apple-1.0.3
	- reggie-test-nameservice-provider
	- velocity 1.7

I’m not familiar enough with the qa-refactor branch to know what they’re used for.  ‘custard-apple’
is a library that Peter wrote, I think, and I think he also rolled it into the ‘org.apache.river’
namespace, so the jar may not be needed now.  Of the other ones, I suspect that the ‘reggie-nameservice-provider’
could be generated.  Most of the others are older versions of packages that are available
from Maven Central.  Only ‘animal-sniffer’ and ‘asm 3.2’ are present in the river-2.2.2
release and I don’t think animal-sniffer is actually used (and really, we should get them
out of there too).

Like I said, someone that knows that branch needs to go over it and make sure everything is
tidied up for release.

Cheers,

Greg

> On Aug 7, 2015, at 5:11 PM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> I think we need to work in the qa-refactor-namespace branch. This is the branch I created
that contains the namespace modifications. As far as the dependencies are concerned, if you
want a source distribution, perhaps just checking out from subversion would suffice.

> Regards
>
> Dennis
>
>> On Aug 7, 2015, at 442PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>>

>> To start with, someone who’s familiar with that branch (I’m assuming Peter) will
need to move the existing trunk to a branch and then copy over qa_refactor to the trunk.
Then I think we need to discuss what to do with the deep-libs folder.  The build, test, and
possibly runtime depends on jars that are in deps-lib.  From what I gather, it’s unacceptable
to put jar files into a source distribution, and somewhat discouraged to put them into svn,
so we should figure out whether we could use Ivy to get the dependencies at runtime, or setup
and document a separate download process for them.