river-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Cote <jean.cot...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: River-examples project
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2015 04:17:12 GMT
I think it should be removed to prevent confusion.

Sent from my iPod

> On Jul 1, 2015, at 2:49 PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

> It’s a hold-over from the old examples folder that I started with.  It starts up an
http server that serves out the contents of the ‘lib-dl’ folder.  In the older examples
in the JTSK, the pattern was to start up the class server separately.  In the new examples
that I did, both the 'start-infra.config’ and ’start-hello-service.config’ files include
entries to start their own class servers, so they are independent (if you look carefully,
you’ll see that they specify different ports for the http server).

> So you’re right, the ‘start-class-server.config’ file is not used in the examples
instructions, although it might be useful as an example of what entries to include in a starter
configuration file.  I’d be interested in opinions as to whether we should just take it
out of the new examples project.

> Cheers,
>
> Greg Trasuk
>
>> On Jul 1, 2015, at 2:59 PM, Jean Cote <jean.cote00@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> Thanks for doing this. It is very useful.
>> There is a file called 'start-class-server.config' that doesn't seem to have any
use. Any clue why you created it?

>> Thanks
>> Jean
>>
>> Sent from my iPod
>>
>>> On Feb 7, 2015, at 7:27 AM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> This doesn’t seem to have gone through the mail system yesterday, so I’m
posting again.  Apologies if we eventually have a storm of similar messages.

>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> Finally finished the examples project.  Please review and comment.
>>>
>>> You can get it from svn at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/river-examples/river-examples/trunk
>>>
>>> My thinking is that a new user trying out the examples will start with the read
me file at: “README.md” (formatted as markdown
>>> so that in case someone is looking at the github mirror, they’ll see it on
the front page of the project).  So, if one or more of you could checkout the project and
begin by following the README.md instructions, that would give us a feel for the “new-user”
experience.

>>> I’m picturing that we should be able to release the examples project fairly
quickly, and then start trying to publicize it.  Also, we can add more advanced examples as
time goes on (e.g. event notifications, transactions, JavaSpaces, web app client, etc).