river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Using an unchecked exception instead of RemoteException
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:31:01 GMT

Just a comment on the complexity of Jini services.  I agree that starting up Jini services
using the ServiceStarter is overly complex and arcane, which is why other service frameworks
like Rio, StartNow, and river-service-container exist.

I’m hoping the river-examples project makes things a little easier for people, as well.
 Also, it would be great if we could adopt a service-definition method that’s a little more
like EJB3 or JAX-WS.  Can’t get much easier than putting an annotation on a class.

However, I stopped thinking that Jini services themselves are complex after I did some work
with the WS-* stack.  You can’t tell me that the combination of WSDL, WS-SE, Schema, and
everything else that goes along with WS-* is simpler than Jini.

So take heart, setting up security wouldn’t be any easier under any other SOA framework.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk