river-dev mailing list archives

From Palash Ray <paa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clustered Jini Server? Was: Re: Mirroring to GitHub
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 01:16:52 GMT
Excellent. May be we can help each other here.

Let me start by giving some more context around the problem.

*Problem*
Our middle tier that is a Jini-based rmi server. We have a Swing client
that connects to it. In the middle tier, we have lot of processing logic:
fetch something from the database, do some calculation intensive
processing, write the results back to the database.

Of late there has been a huge increase of the loads: the no. of Swing
clients has increased, as has the bulk of the data to be processed. It has
come to a point, where our production server, which is a single machine, is
creaking under the load.

So, we have decided to cluster it. We are planning to have at least 3 or 4
Jini servers and a load balancer to spread out the load evenly.

I was doing a proof of concept using the Jini infrasctrure itself. These
were my thoughts:

*Option 1*
https://github.com/paawak/blog/tree/master/code/jini/unsecure/load-balancing

The load balancing architecture here is very very simple. There is a
single load balancer with its own reggie running at 6670. This is the
primary contact point for all clients.

There are multiple reggie involved for load balancing. The following
convention is followed:

1. The reggie for load balancer is at 6670
2. The reggie for the actual jini servers are at 5561, 5562, 5563, etc.

When the load-balancer recieves a request from client, it does the
look-up at the appropriate jini-server and returns the remote service.

*Option 2*
https://github.com/paawak/jini-in-a-war

I figured that if we can embed the Jini in a Tomcat and then clustering the
Tomcat would be very easy. But this is still work in progress, and there
are lot of details that I need to figure out.

Please let me know if the above makes sense or is around the same things
that interest you. I would like to have a out of the box Jini solution
that *just
works*. And I am happy to code for any solution that you guys think should
be the way forward.

Thanks,
Palash.