river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gregg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apacher River over Internet
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 13:08:41 GMT
Across the internet, you loose access to multi-cast only discovery.  So, your client must use
unicast and the service must advertise/join a unicast capable lookup service (Reggie).   I’ve
used Jini across long distance network paths for quite some time, and it works just fine as
long as you use unicast (direct IP addresses).  For outside of an intranet access to an intranet
lookup service and then for access to the discovered service, you will need to take firewall
configuration into account most likely.  Port forwarding will be required if there is an networking
barriers such as NATing routers etc.

Gregg