river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Namespace change from com.sun.jini and com.artima to org.apache.river
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 17:48:42 GMT

Hi Dennis:

Your response sounds a little snarky to me, but that may be just email not conveying tone
correctly, or the curse of the iPhone.

If I’m not mistaken, the changes you’re talking about are contained in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-336
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-336>.  The Jira issue says the patch was
integrated into river-trunk in 2012.  Looking at the trunk, it looks like sjiskes integrated
it, changing the name of the new class loader from CodebaseAccessClassLoader to RiverClassLoader.
 From what I can tell, it isn’t in the qa_refactor branch, but Peter added additional patch
files to the Jira issue, so I wonder if he integrated it somewhere into qa_refactor under
a different name.  Peter?

In any case, given all the misinformation and lack of information that’s out there regarding
River development, I think it’s important that we don’t give the impression that River
is incompatible with IDE’s.  In the email trail below, there is a question about developing
under NetBeans, then a comment that it “should run fine within NetBeans”, then some talk
about NetBeans Security Manager, and finally, you ask about changes to improve NetBeans compatibility.

To the keen observer, it’s clear that there are two different conversations going on here
- one is about using NetBeans as a development environment; the other is about starting up
River services or clients inside the Netbeans Platform.  The casual observer, on the other
hand, might only pick up on “compatibility with NetBeans”, hence my comment that we need
to be clear what is meant by “run within NetBeans”.

To be totally clear, any environment where you can edit java files, including NetBeans or
Eclipse, is fine for poking around in the River source code.  The build is executed by Ant
using the ‘build.xml’ script.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:54 AM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's the RMIClassLoader work that was done, thought I had made that clear.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:06 AM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>>

>> Need to define “run within NetBeans”.  I think Gregg’s work you’re thinking
of was about being able to build NetBeans plugins that could access services and perhaps export
services.

>> “Running” a program from within Netbeans, i.e. invoking the Ant script or executing
“java …” works fine as-is.  And I think Peter was talking about developing with NetBeans,
which also is just fine.  The only thing that is  bit of a pain with either NetBeans or Eclipse
on the JTSK core project is getting  all the libraries added to the IDE’s class path so
that type-ahead, etc, work OK.  In either one, you need to edit the project’s properties.
 It’s a little easier with a Mavenized project like the river-examples projects, because
the IDE picks up on the dependencies called out in the POM.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Greg Trasuk
>>
>>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 9:45 AM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Gregg,
>>>
>>> IIRC, you did some work with the RMIClassLoader that greatly improved interoperability
with NB. I don't recall seeing it in the qa-refactor branch. I think it's really important
to have that work in the next release.

>>> Any chance you can you merge it into the qa-refactor-namespace branch?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

was not replaceable in an APP nor the IDE itself.  I think this was changed to be pluggable,
but I just don’t remember the details.

should also work.  Unlike previous builds, it doesn't need cigwin and it  builds on jvm's
other than Sun's, such as IBM's J9.

chain to use to compile it on a Windows 8.1 system?

branch, having eyes and hands on this would be great!