river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Apacher River over Internet
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2015 14:17:59 GMT
Some final thoughts; in order to achieve a secure service, as previously
stated, the client must be authenticated, ie use a CA signed X509
certificate, this requirement, does tend to place a significant
inconvenience and burden on clients, limiting River's appeal for the
internet.  The ObjectInputStream validation prototype I had put forward
was intended to address this problem, allowing clients to remain
anonymous, or at least not require a public certificate and instead have
the connections themselves perform input validation.  Fixing this
security issue isn't a technical problem, rather it's limited by a
segment of the development community that believes River is for private
networks and http restful web services are for the internet.

I'm not sure what advantages restful web services provide (apart from
clients not requiring CA signed certs for security), given that restful
service clients are also limited by NAT.  My thoughts are that if I need
to go to the effort of using resful services for the internet, then I
should use them for local networks as well.

You've already got River services, provided your clients don't
themselves export remote objects or need to provide services from behind
firewalls you don't administer, River should be up to the task.

Cheers,

Peter.

On 15/06/2015 11:43 PM, Peter wrote:
> [...]
>>         3. ClientAuthentication to yes.
>>   4. Make sure DGC is disabled (it's insecure), you'll need to retain a
>>      strong reference locally to your server, to keep your service
>>      alive; so it doesn't get garbage collected after exporting.
>>
>> If you grant permissions to your codebase signers (optionally you may
>> also configure it to be running with specific Principal's) then you
>> don't need to worry about proxy preparation and granting permissions
>> dynamically.   Sufficient permissions for the proxy to contact the
>> server host will be granted automatically.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> On 14/06/2015 3:36 PM, Peter wrote:
>>> Hi Sergio,
>>>
>>> No IIOP isn't the right solution, IIOP is designed for intra
>>> language operability (eg C or C++) on local trusted networks.
>>>
>>> Firstly there are some restrictions on internet communications due
>>> to firewalls and NAT (network address translation):
>>>
>>>   1. Services (servers) must be visible, that is have a static IPv4
>>>      address or an IPv6 address that is globally visible on a known
>>>      port, or is a known port on a resolvable domain name address.
>>>   2. Services behind firewalls with NAT, must be assigned a port on the
>>>      firewall.
>>>   3. It is possible for clients behind firewalls to contact an internet
>>>      visible service, and be contacted by the service, but only after
>>>      the client has initiated communications, so for instance, clients
>>>      of javaspaces on separate private networks, may put and take from
>>>      an internet visible javaspace service.
>>>
>>> If you want security, use secure unicast discovery, clients and
>>> servers must be authenticated prior to any deserialization
>>> occurring, see javadoc for the following packages or classes:
>>>
>>>   1. com.sun.jini.discovery.ssl
>>>   2. net.jini.discovery.ConstrainableLookupLocator
>>>   3. net.jini.discovery.LookupLocatorDiscovery
>>>   4. net.jini.core.constraint.ClientAuthentication
>>>   5. net.jini.core.constraint.ServerAuthentication
>>>   6. com.sun.jini.discovery.DiscoveryProtocolVersion (TWO)
>>>
>>> When you configure your lookup service (Reggie), you must configure
>>> it to always use client authentication, this strategy should also be
>>> adopted for any other services you have.
>>>
>>> Your also need to sign your codebase jar files.
>>>
>>> Don't concern yourself too much with proxy trust, this is performed
>>> after downloading, class loading and deserializing a proxy (too
>>> late), the only way to ensure security, is to authenticate servers
>>> and clients and sign codebases.  Do not allow anyone to register
>>> their services to your lookup service without authenticating.
>>>
>>> Don't believe the outdated story that Reggie doesn't pose a security
>>> risk, it's only secure if clients are always authenticated.  If you
>>> don't authenticate your clients, over a secure connection, then
>>> Reggie is exposed to deserialization attacks.
>>>
>>> For client security, make sure you always authenticate the lookup
>>> service (during discovery), also install the
>>> net.jini.loader.pref.RequireDLPermProvider and grant