river-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>
Subject Re: Using an unchecked exception instead of RemoteException
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 09:50:20 GMT
On 12/06/2015 05:34, Palash Ray wrote:
> In my 2 years of using Jini, one feedback that I have as a developer is its
> overtly complex. For instance, if I want to configure security, its so
> complex, that I have to spend days together to get it up.
>
> I strongly believe that we should try to make things simple for the users.
> And flexible.
>
> Thanks,
> Palash.
Fair enough. But distributed security (e.g. authentication) is a
somewhat inherently complex problem!
What are you looking to achieve? I always find that true distributed
systems, having more of a peer-to-peer nature,
don't have a single, authoritative point of control. In the long run, I
think that some sort of federated trust model,
similar to what we have with PGP, might work.

If what you're building is inherently client/server, and especially if
you're just shuffling data around, Apache River is
often not the right solution. The sorts of problems that River provides
solutions to, make it inherently more complex
for some other common scenarios.

regards,
Dawid

P.S. This discussion should probably be on the river *users* list, not
the *dev* one :-)